"Dad's fast red car"
My *new* 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 - 'hot'
I was finally able to pry my buddie's car out of his tight grasp -- on the condition that it retain its original name, "Dad's fast red car". It was a cash deal - which is one milllion percent better than the $400/month deal I was paying on the CR-V. Matt is moving up to Idaho to get into the car business and 1) didn't want to take his car with him 2) has a 7 person family that doesn't fit a 4 seater and 3) will now have the chance to drive any (Ford) car he wants now. So it was perfect timing on both our parts when I emailed him a month or so ago asking if he knew anyone looking to sell a small commuter car.
I love the car for many reasons:
- it's a manual transmition - which is actaully alot of fun
- I feel cool in it (I know I really shouldn't but I can't explain why I do)
- it's a symbol of my new financial mantra - "cash purchases only" (ok, so I really purchased it with my student loans, but it beats a $400/month car payment any day of the week)
- I didn't have to change one radio preset (I'm debating removing the 2 country stations from FM2)
- did I mention it's a stick?
- it gets 27 miles per gallon
- I really look up to Matt, so driving his car is a daily reminder the kind of person I want to be
- it's super clean and in GREAT condition for being a 7 year old car
- My wife thinks I look funny in it (which leads to the next point)
- it's totally too small for my w-i-d-e profile. The car is motivation to shed a few pounds
- I look good in red
- Every time I 'reverse' out of my garage and driveway it reminds me of the Ford Escort hatchback my Mom drove when I was a kid
- and finally, there's no car payment like no car payment
For those of you wondering what the 'hot' is about in the car's name, "1998 Ford Escort ZX2 - 'hot'" - that's actually what it's called :)
You should really listen to the review this car got.
Editor-In-Chief, The Auto Channel